Monday, January 3, 2011

Psychology Essays ;; Update On Life ;; Boredom

Winter break is here, and at the time I type this it is just ending. In fifteen hours I will be going to school. In about ten hours I will be asleep. Five hours will be enough to function I'm sure. My sleeping pattern is ridiculously out of place, as expected. This happens to me every break, though I really don't mind. I have a Night Owl sleeping pattern I believe, for if I let it shift naturally I fall asleep around two and wake up around twelve.

What have you all been up to over the break? I know the people who I'm subscribed to took a break from blogging on the most part, as did I. This will be my first post in two weeks almost. I've been playing Assassin's Creed, Minecraft, and socializing. I've also chipped away at the Harry Potter series a fair amount, and am now at risk of finishing the fourth book in the series after two or three more sittings. The next couple of books are just as large, perhaps a bit smaller, although the copy I have has very light paper; I find it ammusing.

I have had homework to do, but like everyone else who I've spoken to I have not yet done it. I started my math last night but became frustrated with it. After not doing any math work that resembles what I am doing in class (probability still), it seemed very foreign at first. I found my notes though, and plan on looking through them before trying the questions I was unable to figure out the first time. A large amount of work I've had to do is from Psychology, were I have slacked off since a week before the break. Maybe a week and a half.. it would be safe to say two weeks at the most. I have several essays, or atleast replies to videos we have watched I need to finish; along with three mind maps that need finishing, some reading that I've put off for far too long, and as I think about the essays I need to type the topic that is really burning on my mind is Free Will. I blame Sleeping Beauty for this. The reason to why will be revealed once I get to that topic.

But first!! The first topic I have for Psychology class is on Boredom. 'What does it mean to you?' is my topic, or atleast my prompt to get started.

What is boredom? Well boredom is defined (by Dictionary.com) as 'The act of being bored.' It also defines bored as, well look for yourself. Wikipedia on the other hand has helped a bit and states Boredom is an emotional state experienced during periods lacking activity or when individuals are not interested in their surroundings (click for wikipedia article).

What does it mean to many people around me though?

A common answer is 'school.' Anyone who answers this is not doing it right, and in this case it is school so this statement may not be grammatically correct but it works for me. At the grade I am in (twelve), I get to pick seven out of my eight classes. I may choose one to be a free block where I may, in theory, do work for classes. I might end up doing this, but if I can I'll just spend my time in the Digital Media room. I never get bored at school, except perhaps in Math class where my interest may slip away. I find that to be the easiest class to day dream in, and it catches up to me on occasion but on the most part it is not very impeding.

Another common answer revolves around individuals not being able to find entertainment in the semi-isolated town we live in. Again, they are not trying hard enough. I have never ran out of entertainment in this town. If I have a lack of entertainment, there is always something that I can do.

I think boredom is a choice, more or less. It may not be a conscious choice to be bored, but there can be the conscious decision to do something about it. I, like many people who I speak to, have out-grown being bored. I think it is an aspect of maturity for myself. I'm not stating those who get bored easily are immature, but when I was younger I found I was unable to entertain myself. I needed stimulation, preferably from an exterior source. I frequently would tell my mother, "I'm bored!!" and she would reply with one of a few preset responses. "Only boring people get bored." "There's chores to do then." "Then go do something."

I dislike to admit it, but she was right. Boring people are not the only individuals who get bored, but I think if you have a boring look on life, you are less likely to find joy and entertainment from it. I have a fairly positive outlook on life I think, and this helps a large amount regarding entertainment. When I was given this quote, I believe it was meant to inspire me if anything. I didn't want to be a boring person, so I would do what I could to not be bored.

What about chores? No one likes chores, or so it seems to be to me. A chore is an activity that must be done, however is not desirable. If you enjoy doing something such as cleaning, it is not a chore. It becomes a desirable activity; although when I was in a state of boredom I wanted something to entertain me. I suppose cleaning the house, clearing the table, folding clothes (ooh, such a redundant activity...), or even taking care of the cats would fill time but it may not necessarily entertain me.

"Then go do something." This may of been the best advice at the time, and it still would be for this situation. Even if the activity is entertaining, such as a chore, it will pass the time at least. If passing time is all you are looking for, a different perception of time is needed to defeat boredom; or it will at least help.

If you are not familiar with my views on time, and how I perceive time, I would advice you to take a look at my post Perception of Time. In order to simply let time slip away, you must enjoy what you are doing. Have you ever just lost yourself in a moment, and then once you got to looking at the time realized that hours had passed instead of just the few minutes you expected? I think if there is no access to anything that will keep track of time, time appears to go by faster also. If you need to get something done put down your watch. Put down your iPod. Put down your computer, phone, alarm clock, TV, and anything else that might indicate time. Just keep working at it until it is finished, then find out the time when you are done.

This feels very out of order, back to my perception of what boredom is.

If I was to define boredom, I would state it does not exist. I would not say that it is impossible to become bored, but because I do not become bored it does not exist for me. It may be a bit of a stretch to say that I do not become bored, but it happens very rarely. If I have nothing to do, I find something to do. I have electronics at my access almost always. This may encourage boredom though, if not used correctly. I'll get to that after. I can always pick up a book and read. I could go for a walk, I could phone a friend. I could phone Sleeping Beauty and before I know it an hour and a half will of slipped by, I will realize that I have been laying on the floor of my room with the phone sitting on my face so I may speak through it and hear the voice on the other end, with my eyes closed and my body completely still; and all I will be doing is speaking. To just speak may be a boring concept to many people, but it one of the simple activities that is slipping away from our society.

Our society, our culture, our media, our environment; all encourages constant entertainment. Electronics encourage this the most. I do not own a cell phone, I do not wish to get one. They are a multifunctional tool, so they will be favored over many others. Single function tools are slipping away, such as watches or wrenches. Few people wear watches now, because they can use their cell phone which they can talk to people, text people, play games, make notes for later, record notes for later, and check the time. You'll never see a wrench advertised on television; but you will see a wrench that can adjust to fit several shapes and types of bolts. On the side of it will be a screwdriver attachment, and if you buy the extra attachment you can even pry rusty nails out of place with it. It is not a wrench, it is a multi tool. It is considered better because it can do so many things.

Cell phones, along with many other items such as iPods, take our ability to interact with our environment the same way as we use to. Remember the definition of boredom given by wikipedia? It included a mention about a lack of interest in the environment, or something like that. I don't intend on checking back on it. A walk outside may not be as good for everyone as it use to be, because it could be inconvenient to not listen to music as they walk. They will want to text as they are strolling through a beautiful forest, and will probably miss so much. Electronics disconnect us from reality and when they are not there, when there is not a constant stimulation, we become bored.

What is boredom? If I was to not avoid answering the question directly, I would state this: It is a state of being where you have not used or found the inspiration to do something with your time that is worth doing, and not just an activity that kills time.

If killing time is all that is important, be sure you have cable. I have observed people sit down and not move for several hours, because the television is on. I recently read something that was campaigning towards people getting out of their house, and away from TV. It stated that your brain is more active when you are asleep, compared to when watching TV. This shouldn't be taken at face value, because your brain is incredibly active when you are asleep, but I think they were getting somewhere?

What is boredom? It is a choice. It is a mental state. It is an emotional state. It is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment