Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Flex Again ;; 1984

Well I'm back at school, and it is a Tuesday. I was thinking it was a Monday, but it is a Tuesday. This threw my plans around for my English work that I was not sure if I had to do, but it turns out I have everything that is needed to be done so there's nothing to worry about.

Flex has become when I blog at school, well I do so sometimes. When I do not have work and have not been requested by a friend to be somewhere me and TheUnromantic find some computers in the computer lab and blog. I don't have much of a topic that I think I will be able to finish in the already diminished forty minutes of time I'm given. I think I'll talk about 1984.

1984, a great book written by George Orwell, is the current novel that we are reading in English. I'm disappointed to find that some of the top results for it when I search for it on Google is related to Spark Notes; a website that features notes about books. This is a great idea, but I'm sure it's abused by students who are too illiterate to read a novel in the time they are given. We were given two weeks to read. I'm unsure if anyone used spark notes to find out the main points about this in my class, but I know it's happening for another classic that one of the grade 11 classes is reading at the moment. They are reading Lord Of The Flies by William Golding. I read it last year in my grade 11 English class. I might discuss it here some time.

As for now, I will be looking over a few points of interest that I found in the first part of 1984; though I may not get away from my first topic. I would ask for someone to request for me to talk about LOTF (this amuses me.. it's similar to LOTR), but I know it's not going to happen. Comments, I don't get them.

In 1984, you can be charged for admiring a crime. Criminal activity is very punishable, leading to there being very little crime. What furthers the absence of crime in the society that is presented, is the idea of thoughtcrime or crimethink (the 'newspeak' word for thoughtcrime). The thought of committing a crime is equally as punishable, and what is considered crime is a bit more extreme compared to what our society states.

In order to maintain the single political party's power, the leaders have instated unspoken laws. There is nothing officially stating that you may not speak against the party, or against Big Brother (an entity I may discus), but people who do tend to just dissipate.

Back to thoughtcrime. Periodicly people seam to just go missing. It is assumed the thoughtpolice, the individuals who govern thoughtcrime, have abducted you. They always come at night, and the individuals are always guilty. They might reappear a few years later where they publicly confess their crimes and are executed on spot for it. Public hangings are a popular event for children to watch.

Now about half way through reading the first part of the book, I realized something. Everyone was guilty of thoughtcrime. This allows the thoughtpolice to arrest anyone they wish.

Wow, soon as I get to my point I run out of time. I'll continue this when I get home I guess. I have a haircut after school... I will get this done. My friend said I should write about Harry Potter, because I have the fourth book sitting beside and I have almost finished reading it. So, this is what I have to say:

Harry Potter is a pretty cool guy.

**Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment