Thursday, January 13, 2011

Senses, All Five

I'm posting, on behalf of Psychology class again. Surprised? I'm not, but soon I will be writing on my own topics for a day or two.. maybe.

We must write about an experience we have had where our attention was fully focused on one sense. Easy enough? I want to read others replies to this topic.

First up, touch. I can only think of one moment where I've been only focused on touch, and it occurred a few years ago. It was during lunch break, some friends were sitting in a circle playing cards, I was outside of the circle sitting behind my girlfriend of the time. After what must of been several minutes I realized that my eyes were open but I didn't see anything. In that moment I snapped back to reality, though for a large amount of that lunch period I must of just sat there with my hand on her back. I remember being quite mystified about how the time went by so quickly, how I knew there had to be sounds around me but I didn't hear any, and most of all how all I remembered from the time was the texture of her shirt. I can recall knowing this now though not that original memory. I can't remember what made it distinct at the time other than the isolation of memory.

As for smell, I have a few vague memories to piece together. Many times I've walked into my house after school only to feel as if I just walked into a wall of aroma. The scent is usually from meat, and that may be why I remember this so distinctly. I have been a vegetarian for six years, however there have been many cases where the smell of meat cooking has been instinctively considered pleasant smelling. There are many cases where I found the scent of flesh being chemically altered (It sounds much worse that way, doesn't it?)

My audio receptors have over focused and turned the rest of my senses of many times when speaking on the phone, especially to Sleeping Beauty. I have a habit of lying on my back, anywhere in my room, when speaking on the phone to her. I may be on the ground, on my bed, in my box fort (yes, I have a box fort). The phone will be resting on my face with the speaker near the top of my face and the mic closer to my chin. A couple of times an hour has gone by and I have realized I have not moved, not even opened my eyes. All I know for those moments is Sleeping Beauty's voice. I find it difficult to speak on the phone when I'm on the computer, and slightly less when I'm involving myself in other activities. There's little to stimulate me in my room once the sun has gone down, for there is little light. My blinds are always down and I have a poster over half my window to encourage darkness. As long as I'm comfortable I have no reason to pay attention to anything else other than what is important.

Taste and vision have escaped me for a unique memory surrounding them. I can think of some instances where've I've consumed very flavorful food, some very spicy food, and that sensation I get when really hungry and about to make some food. I can recollect some amazing sights I've seen; but nothing stands out to be a blind-and-dumb-food-testing experience or vision so crisp and memorable it has embedded into my memory with no concept of anything more than a bombardment of artistic photons.

That is all for now. Next up Street Art vs Graffiti and how they're boath great.
________
<((Bugworlds(()

No comments:

Post a Comment