Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Effects Of Media

In Psychology class, along with the handout about our senses and the handout about positive psychology along with other branches of psychology, we received a handout titled 'Effects of Media.' Instantly I assumed this would be a biased report about how the media influences us negatively. I was not entirely correct. There are a few groupings of two or three sentences strewn here and there stating that the several paragraphs before those sentences could be wrong or 'this is rarely the case.'

How does the media effect us? This would have to be a case by case question, so generalizing will lead to something that may not apply to many or be full of bias ideas. I don't mind this all so much. I have my own opinion about media and I would love to hear all of your opinions about media.

So, how does the media effect you?

Lets start with the easy aspect of media. The television has a funny habit of persuading us to turn it on, and then waste our time away in front of it. It is easy to justify these actions, because you are tired, because you've had a long day, because you need some time to unwind, because you need some time to rest and relax. Everyone gets tired, everyone has long days, everyone needs some time to just settle down for a bit; not everyone has a television. Not everyone has cable, not everyone has Internet though that is a different paragraph or three.

First off, televisions are not evil devises. Paying too much for cable may be stupid but it is not a sin. You could say everything in moderation is a key idea when using televisions, but that's just too cliche for my liking.

Why do we watch televisions? Well the programs on them inspire us to do so. They are entertaining, educational, maybe even interesting at the best of times. Why do the individuals who make the shows we watch, want them to watch them? If it was just because they wanted them to be watched, the shows and movies would be posted for free viewing online (well, by the makers at least). There is more than just appreciation on the agenda for most producers, though I'm sure it does exist. Money is what is needed to fund the broadcasting, crew, actors, and everyone else involved in the process of making a movie. More money is needed if they wish to create a second piece, which will have the potential of being bigger and better due to profit.

There's that word that my handful of readers were most likely anticipating. Profit. There is the greed aspect of course. The money to create this profit comes mostly from advertisements. The commercials that you glaze over every day. We are bombarded with subliminal and much less discrete messages daily. This is not only done through television, but rather anything that has any advertising on it. I think television is dominant in the advertising market though, so this is why I have chosen to mention it here.

We may not realize how much attention we pay to the forty of seconds of 'buy this, look like this, be this' and not all commercials are so shallow. Some have a message, some are there to inspire the viewers to be better people. Sadly I must admit I think these commercials may be morally sound however when it comes to advertising quality, they are not put together as well. There is less research done for them, and they do not leave such a lasting impression except for some slightly stretched heartstrings. It's a good thing we've become desensationalized. (this will probably find it's way into another paragraph also) to it all.

I feel like I'm spending too much time on this topic; television may have its benefits such as a time to relax, though there are much better alternatives. Television is just an easy, lazy alternative. If you want to go and watch some cable shows, go for it. I'll be using my television for a more interactive entertainment.

Of course I'm speaking about video games. Not necessarily the violent, graphic, mature games that are a lot of fun, but any video games in general. These are not worse than television in many cases, just because they are much more engaging when contrasted to television. I find television boring because video games are interactive and watching something is not. I like to be emerged in something, more so than just observe it. Why watch others have a good time if you can be in control of your own entertainment?

Desensitization is a common theme when video games are discussed, and this is due to the violent, graphic, mature games. I enjoy a good first person shooter, although I'll admit the new games are not as good as the older first person shooters in my opinion. They are more in depth, they are more realistic, but I do not think this is necessarily a good thing. It takes away from the core game play, but still just an opinion. My typing is not to go over my opinion on what makes a good game and what doesn't.

Desensitization occurs after viewing or experiencing something that would normal be morally difficult to watch or go through with, eventually causing it to be not morally difficult. A common example around video games is the act of violence or killing. It is phenomenally easy to kill someone in most games. You simply aim the cross hairs over their head and left click, right trigger, I think the Wii features the B button. The savage act of murder has been committed with just a keystroke.

But how does this relate to the real world? When so many are willing to state that video games desensitize individuals I will admit they are right, but the act of shooting someone in a game and in the real world are very polar. In a game you are encouraged to do so and rewarded in the action of doing so. In real life there is a general social displeasure with murder, along with a hefty legal punishment. I think desensitization is legitimate but has been exaggerated.

Another stereotype related to video games is they make you lazy. I'll just throw in a mention that my favorite games are DDR and drumming on Rockband. Drumming for Rockband may not be very physically demanding (but much more so than most games), although I know I'll get a better workout from playing DDR than I would going for a run. Just watch this amazing kid. He's edging on being my hero.

Media is also found in many other commercial aspects. Billboard scatter cityscapes, magazines are everywhere, videos are shared over E-Mail, and lets take a look at the most desired media form. Lets think about the Internet.

Is the Internet making us stupid? Is Google making us stupid? How the Internet is rewiring our brains. These are all articles that I have read at least part of and I would recomend they be read. For those who don't want to read them but get the gist of them, I will summarize. Also, there are many similar articles for those who are willing to jump to Google by their own means, without a link and everything.

Is the Internet making us stupid, and Is Google making us stupid fit together well. They discuss how we no longer need to think through our own problems. The only effort we need to find an answer to our question is typing it into the search bar. Personally, I love this and I abuse it just as much as most people. I don't think it is a bad thing, although I can see how it could teach our brain that we don't need to think through our own problems.

How the Internet is rewiring our brains looks at our brains, and the Internet, and the connection between the two. I would go into more detail but I need to go at the moment. The next few paragraphs have been typed out before I got to this part of my post.

Pfft, chronological order.

These were the two aspects of the media that were examined in my handout. They are both very easy topics when you consider the media. Other aspects of media consist of everything produced with intention of showing others, commercially or otherwise. We absorb adds every day, we view art every day, we create our own media every day. This post that you are reading right now is a form of media. Think all the media is bad still? I'm hoping not.

Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment