Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Dr Seuss ;; God's Debris Continued Again

Dr. Seuss was an amazing individual. He's very well known for his children's books, but he is also known for some of his great quotes. So many individuals favor his sentence revolving around when you know when you are in love.

"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because realty is finally better than your dreams" - Dr. Seuss
I also enjoy his quote:
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
And, in a less serrious tone:
"I am Sam, Sam I am. I will not eat green eggs and ham" - Dr. Seuss
I think Sleeping Beauty may enjoy that last one also. I intend on focusing on the first quote I mentioned. I should be trying to keep this post short, because as it happens ever so often I only get to posting once it is later at night and I need to get some sleep. Last post, I tired to keep the word count short. I forget the numeric value however when I put it into Microsoft Word it has six pages at the default text values.
To break this quote down quickly; it is stating that if you are in love you will have trouble sleeping. This is because your reality is better than anything you may dream up. I think this is an overstatement. If not there is a chance that Dr. Seuss simply had a phenomenal reality, a difficulty grasping reality, or dull dreams.
This romanticized ideal would be nice, but I don't think it is necessarily accurate. There are many other events that may stop you from sleeping, such as excitement over what is going to happen the next day. I think Christmas is something that many people will be able to identify with. Christmas Eve, everyone is getting excited about the morning. Once night comes around it seams to drag out because the morning refuses to come. Everyone is simply too excited to sleep. This is not because their reality is better than their dreams; just because they are anxious.
Love should not cause anxiety, it should bring a peace to you. It should bring you to sleep easier with the thought that the person you hold closest to your metaphoric-emotional heart will be there for you in the morning.
I love sleep, well the idea of it. What happens during your sleep is very interesting if you read into it. I've spent a fair amount of time reading about sleeping and dreaming, and I believe that dreams are fairly infinite in their ability to impress and create. A dream may not be able to produce a feeling of love that is greater than in reality, however it may be able to create a better reality.
Your brain is capable of synthesizing anything really. All it needs is a base knowledge and I think it is very easy to explain how infinitive that base knowledge is. Imagine anything. Imagine anything phenomenal, amazing, anything. If you can imagine it, imagine how much your brain could subconsciously expand that into a dream?
With mental time dilation occurring during dreams, think of how immense this dream could be. It just takes an idea to give you a night of smiles as you slumber.
With that being said, I would love to be able to tell this to the Dr. himself. Not entirely for the I'm-Right-and-you're-not factor, but just to see how he would answer. He had a brilliant mind. Misfortunately he is no longer with us, and my sister's mention towards necromancy was not very welcomed in my mind.
"You know when you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams" - Dr. Seuss
"You know you could be in love, when the thought of someone keeps you from sleeping and all you wish to do is sleep so that the next day with them will come by sooner" - Bugworlds
Not perfectly worded, and I included the 'could be' because you could replace love with many terms. Love; like; attraction; desire; lust.
Well that was exciting. Onto more reading of God's Debris. See my previous posts regarding this book for information, or just click the link and start reading yourself. I think reading the previous posts for information about the book, the book, then my reply to the book and parts of it may be the best order to approach this.
I have noticed the further I read into this, the less I have to say about it. The less I have to say about it, that is notable enough for me to post it here atleast. Perhaps I am just getting more into it and thinking about replying to it less; perhaps I am finding less points to reply to. None-the-less I will try to put one or two points in here.
How moderately embarrassing. It appears I've gotten myself confused regarding what page I'm on. I guess I will simply reread some of this.
" 'Religions are like different maps whose routes all lead to the collective good of society' " (32)
I would like to apply this concept not to various religions, but to those who are not necessarily pleasant people due to a lack of religion. I have experienced many encounters with people who will do something because they see no fault in it. They believe that if they do not believe in any religion that refines their actions, they may do however they please. Why not be a good, kind person; even in the absence of religion?
" 'Has anyone ever told you to 'be yourself'?' "
Yes (that was odd, I went to type out yes and stroke the keys of my keyboard perfectly to type 'this'), this has happened (wait.. the next word I wanted to type was this.. I see..) to me many times. I've wondered if who I was at the moment, was not really me? But then I realized that it had to be. There was no way that the person I was, was not myself. If by 'being myself' meant not doing what others wanted me to do so, wouldn't doing what others tell me to do so be 'myself' because I choose to go through with the actions and events? The dialog after this line follows a similar idea to this. I'm enjoying how I tend to react the same way that is written.
This reminds me of the line 'a picture is worth a thousand words' and it makes me think that there is a chance most pictures are worth much more than that. Through essays and blogging (and blogging my essays), I have found that 1000 words is not all that many. I occasionally get 3000-4000 word posts. This quote should be refined to 'a picture is worth ten thousand words, give or take nine thousand.' Ooh, I like that. It's going to my Twitter.
I am now on page 38, and I have decided to only reply to what really leaps out at me and drives me to come back to this tab. I want to read a largish portion of this book, spell check, then get some sleep.
" 'Your question reveals your bias for a binary world' " (39)
Just seconds after saying I was going to slow down on replies, I read this. I love the way that is stated, a binary world. It is referring to everything in the world being real or imagined. The way we look at things are very binary. Black and white, right and wrong, real or fake, yes or no, one or two.
" 'The need to build the Internet comes from something within us, something programmed, something we can't resist' " (52)
The drive that causes us to create the Internet is communication, the sharing of ideas, the ability to be connected to eachother, the desire to create. These could all be considered to be 'programmed' into our instincts. Around this quote it states "in the 1990s investors threw money at any Internet company that asked for it" (52). It is a reply to a comment regarding Capitalism, and how the Internet may be only put in place so that money may be made off of it. The Internet breaks the idea of Capitalism.
If you want something to be done, if you want something to be big and for it to be connected to many people. If you want an idea to spread and be shared, how do you go about doing so? The answer is simple. Put it on the Internet, have people work on it and don't pay them.
Well, putting it that way makes it sound a bit odd but it's just a different perspective on getting people to volunteer. If you look about the Internet you are going to find many very successful, very large projects that are worked on all for free.
If you pay someone to do something, they are likely to get the job done if they want to or not. If someone wants to do something, they will do it if they are payed or not. If someone finds something interesting, they are prone to putting their time and effort into it even if the only personal gain is the fact they did it and they enjoyed doing so. The Internet is huge, and if you have an idea someone will like it. If it is resonable you will be able to find someone, or many people for that matter, to help develop the idea. They will do so for free, because they will enjoy the idea and enjoy working around it.
Still don't beleive me?
Youtube: has all its videos uploaded for free.
Facebook: largest social networking site, which is free to use.
Wikipedia: largest online encyclopedia (even if it may not be considered legitimate), with all the information submit by users for free.
Wikileaks: check my previous post about wikileaks to find out more about this, but it is a site where people have uploaded leaked, classified documents, for free.
Google: most popular search engine, that may be used (along with several other features from the Google corporation, possibly the most successful organization in the world) for free
Blogger: or blogspot, what ever it is. It is owned by Google by the way, and it is free to use.
Linux: I don't know how to describe this in the same format as the others, but if you want an Operating System on your computer that (in several opinions, I have never used one) is better than a Mac or Windows OS that you must pay for? Go download a Linux OS off the Linux website, for free of course.
I can think of a few more examples of this, but what do these all have in common? There is something about it, that is free. People have put several hundred hours into making most of these, if not using them. The huge majority of this had been done for free.
Time to sleep. I am on page 77 of the PDF and 65 of the book.
Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment