Thursday, December 16, 2010

More Wikileaks

I can't say I'm picking up where I dropped off, just with what ever thoughts that occur to me at the moment. I'm not terribly inspired to write, however I decided I should probably get this done. My Psychology class has presented me with eight assignments, each of which I will need to put together 500-1000 words. I usually hand in 1000-2000 word assignments though. I have a couple of them done, but at the moment I'm going to be presented with 8000ish words to type.

Wikileaks is one of them, so I would like to finish my thoughts on this site. If I don't have time durring this extended flex block (it is extended due to the Fine Arts presentation that started at the beginning of lunch. It is going into flex which has been moved to the block directly after lunch; changing up the schedule for the rest of my classes today).

I'm jumping back to the mirror sites. A mirror site is a website that is the exact same as another site. In this case, Wikileaks has several mirrors due to the original being blocked. This means all the files and data have been copied, meaning anyone could copy these.

I have no doubt at all that every government in the world has downloaded every file off Wikileaks. No government is going to be presented with all that information and turn it down. No government is going to say it is unmoral to take that information. I think it is a great idea for them, it may not be good for everyone else but for the governments that have done this I have to congratulate them for doing so. It is a smart move.

Now that every government in the world has a copy of the information that has been leaked, what will happen? I think this could start a war.

Some of the information that has been posted, has been espionage documents. There have been instructions on how to great some dangerous weapons released also (I believe I wrote a bit about this in my last post, so I will not go into detail). These espionage documents have opinions on various leaders and high ranking officials around the world; many of them are not very friendly. Now everyone in the world has access to a private opinion, even if it is with an organization of a government. I think this is where this has gone too far (well one of a few places).

This could start wars. This could result in the killing of several hundred people.

When should information be free? Should all information be free? Should all information that has been released to the public, stay in the public domain? When should information be stopped? When should public safety and the personal concern of an individual make censorship okay? When is censorship okay? So many questions, I think I'll answer a couple.

Wikileaks is largely based off of the idea of Free Speech. It is based in Sweden due to their amazing free speech laws, something that I will allow my readers to look into themselves. I believe that free speech should have more than just the phrase, "An individual has the right to have free speech." There needs to be limitations.

I think there should be an amendment, or something like that. I know amendments may not help me all that much, living in Canada and all, although it wouldn't hurt. If there could be some worldwide system, well that would be great.

We should have free speech within reason. If free speech is causing harm to individuals, to peoples, and to organizations it should be limited in some sort. I'm not certain on what the actual constitutional statement says, but Wikileaks is going to be remembered for ever (well even longer than it will anyways because it may be remembered for ever anyways) when it causes an amendment to be made.

With great power comes great responsibility, and knowledge is power. If you have great knowledge, you should have the responsibility to use it properly. If the information that is being leaked by Wikileaks is causing harm, then it compromises all the information. It is still all legitimate, however I think it needs to be refined. It's fine that Wikileaks has this information, but censorship is not all that bad perhaps?

Most think of censorship as the government, the man, stopping us from knowing what would be undesirable according to the government. Some censorship, the majority of it (or so I would guess) is there to protect us. There is some information we do not need to know.

I was cut off again. I'm almost done anyway.

-- Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment