Wednesday, October 13, 2010

More About Time ;; More About How I Don't Have It

Time, it is just an abstract concept that is human invented. It can be manipulated, not consciously, but through the way we perceive it.

Note; this is all theoretical, proposed by the book I have now finished reading 'Is There Life After Death' by Anthony Peake (http://www.anthonypeake.com).

Think of a time you have been scared, not to the extreme of the most fright possible (I don't think many people achieve this though. I will address why below), but enough. Did you notice it appeared time slowed down for a moment? Now that you think back on it, did you think many thoughts despite the lack of time to process it all? For that split second when you were in the air did you think, "Oh, how should I land?" "That's concrete coming towards my face," "Oh, my bike is in the air above me." "The ground is closer now.. I'm going to hit it now." Maybe I'm special in this matter but this has happened to me several times.

This is because of a flood of chemicals your brain may release. They change the way you perceive time. Time is all subjective. For more on this, you may want to read my previous post about my perception of time. I may that be the title of it actually. With these chemicals you now observe time at, lets just say, half speed. For every one second that goes by for someone watching, you have two seconds to think.

When you enter a state of expected death, or what will soon be death, your brain releases more chemicals, many more chemicals (actually I'm not sure on this. It could be many more, it could just be different chemicals). These are very similar to chemicals released due to Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (TLE) seizures, but I won't get into that. You'll have to read this book I've mentioned a few times to find out more about that. It's amazingly interesting, it almost made me wish I had TLE; but you won't be able to understand that unless you have knowledge of the topic or have read this book.
I'm off topic. These chemicals change the way you observe time exponentially, or something like that. No matter how it is looked at, in the end time is going by very quickly. Lets say it is exponentially. After one second you are perceiving time at one half the speed of a third person observing you. After two you are processing the world at four times the normal rate. At three time is down to one eighth of a second. At four, a sixteenth; at five a amazing thirty-second of normal pace. That means for every one second that passes for an observer, you have what you view to be thirty two seconds.

To crunch the numbers more just look at 2^x; x being how many seconds have gone by. At 2^10 time is sluggishly sliding by at 1/1024 the normal rate (This is a number I must need to know for my Math 12 class). In one second of a third person observing you, you have had over 1000 seconds to think, that's getting close to sixteen minutes.

The only flaw I see within this idea is a near death experience may not last ten seconds; but the time interval of 'x' in the previous chunk of text may not be seconds. It may be a much smaller denomination of time. I don't want to get into this really, but I will add it to my list of ideas that always builds up in the back of my mind until some are lost and a bunch of them are spewed through my fingers onto the Internet.

However, I said I would go into the concept of the maximum you can be frightened. At the point of being as frightened as possible I think you would enter a state of calm. This was addressed in the book, it was about people who rock climb and have fallen large heights. They were at peace with the fact they were falling to what they thought to be their doom. Even if this is just a short two second drop, to them it felt like much longer, and through this time they had to think about what was happening far as I know the individuals mentioned didn't mind the fact they were falling. They didn't mind the fact they were going to die, they were calm. Maybe so scared they were calm? Just a thought.

Next topic; Time. How I don't have enough of it.

I've found I'm giving myself too much to do on top of what I already need to do. Eat, sleep, bathe. To crunch the amount of time I have to do all that I have homework. To chip away at that time even more I have ambition. I want to work in Photoshop for hours a day, I want to be social, I want to write, I want to read, I want to use the Internet as it should be (this will be another idea to be added to my list of ideas, however it was already there slightly), (I want to be able to put things in a better order than just what comes to mind but I don't want to put the effort into doing so at the moment), I want there to be more time in a day.

The day is broken up into twenty-four hours, this is due to the earth rotating around its axis takes this long. The amount of sunlight there is in a day varies according to the time of the year. The sun being up or down doesn't stop me from much, other than social activity is less likely to happen if the sun is down at times. During the Summer I would rather go out when it is dark. During the Winter I enjoy the sun's warmth. Our days are based around a twenty-four hour schedule.

What if there was more than twenty-four hours though? I would like to propose a thirty hour day. It's an easy number to work with, and in addition to that is convenient number in relation to twenty-four hours due to it being six hours extra. Six hours is one fourth of twenty-four hours, so thirty hours is five fourths of a normal day; just in case that helps the few readers of mine to understand this but I'm sure they will in the first place.

I think this would be great, if it happened over night it would be hard to get use to but still great. If it changed gradually, we would change gradually. If it was like this all along our days would still be stuffed to the brim I think. I would like to look at the over night change.

I have my daily routine set in place a little bit. It is far from a set in stone set of activities to work through in order to finish the day, but it is there a bit. More than a ball pit, less than soft sand (a heavy ball pit that is). If I suddenly had six hours extra what would I do? I think at first I wouldn't like it unless I had something to do. Who am I kidding? I always have too much to do. Filling this time would be easy.

That ball pit and sand idea is confusing to me, even as I read this over. It is how set my daily activities are.

Would I enjoy filling this time though? That's harder to say. I know I love my Digital Media class, and my classes are eighty minutes long. I've had a couple double classes, where I've spent the class before or after in the Digital Media room. This turns into a two hour forty minute work period and it's great as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. I've found I'm not enjoying my time in that class if I don't have anything to work on and not enough time to start a new project. The tutorials I'm working with take one to two hours often. I tend to finish them in forty to fifty minutes despite what I'm told as for time that will be consumed. If I have more time than I need I will finish my current project, fiddle with a couple ideas that I throw together just to see how they turn out, and then stumble or socialize. I don't like stumbling in class even though the teacher encourages it a bit, I just would rather get work done.

At times I find this extra time just is too much. My attention gets pulled off in another direction, for my attention span is fairly lengthy I beleive but sometimes I choose to pull it back. It isn't a conscious choice but I know it is a choice because I know if I have to continue concentrating I will.

So as long as I'm busy and enjoying what I'm dong, or atleast paying attention to it deeply, time goes by at a good rate and the extra time is used very well.

All this talk of extra time reminds me of polyphasic sleeping. It's a great thing. Google it, but it is also going onto the list of ideas. I really should write more of these down instead of trying to remember them all. These unplanned posts seem to spawn more and more ideas as I continue.

What would you do with six hours extra in a day? Polyphasic sleeping is a sleeping pattern that involves naps ever four hours, the time of the nap is often fifteen to twenty minutes. Your body trains itself to go into REM sleep quickly (ooh, sleeping. I know a lot about sleeping.. maybe I should add that to my list too.. ) so you don't need as much sleep. You get (I think) four hours extra to your day. It might be six. I'll figure it out later. Imagine polyphasic sleeping with six hours extra to the day already. That would be a lot of productivity. I must note though, with polyphasic sleeping the concept of days becomes a bit more abstract and harder to grasp because each day flows into the next very... fluidly.

I"m using a lot of ellipses. It's time to spell check and sleep in my, pfft, monochromatic sleeping pattern or what ever it's called. My sleeping pattern that is limited by ambition, and by things like this.

Kind of reminds me of "this is brought you to by" adds at the beginning or end of a show segment.

"This Entertaining Blog Entry Has Been Brought To You By: A Lack Of Sleep! And Also By: Oh No, I just Relized I Still Need To Have A Shower!"

No comments:

Post a Comment