Saturday, October 2, 2010

Longboarding

Not anything important, me just talking about a fun night and some longboarding stuff.

Tonight I had a great time longboarding with a friend. Bombed a couple hills, learned the beginning of a stand-up slide, discovered hopping is useless but fun, put a lot of strain on my already bad knees but by the morning it feels as if it will be better.
Bombing a hill, from what I know is defined by going down a hill with no form of braking. Depending on how fast your going I find air braking at the end is great. Doing a slide at end once you've slowed down a bit is great but I can't do that, and also had no slide glove. I enjoy having flesh on my hands. If there is enough flat ground you will slow naturally. Foot braking is awesome also but is kind of hard on your foot at first.
Slides in general is when you make the wheels slide sideways. Causes a huge amount of friction, and you slow down often to a stop. It can be done by putting your hands on the ground or doing a stand up, on the most part just pushing the back of the board sideways. Me and my friend figured out how to do them kind of. Ideally you want to turn 90 degrees to a stop, I can get about 30; not slowing down much though.
Slide gloves are gloves so you don't tear your hand apart. Often just a work glove with a cutting board cut out and applied on the palm, fingers, and thumb. It works great. Extra friction to encourage a hard turn to lead to a slide, and allows you to lean as far as you want.
Foot braking is essentaly dragging your foot on the ground to slow you down. It works well, I'm sure it's not good for your shoes at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment