Monday, October 11, 2010

Into The Wild Response

In my Psychology class we watched Into The Wild and were given some questions to answer, such as follows:
Respond
Opinion, analyze, break down story
Do I agree with the main character, Alexander
Define Freedom
Give example of how to have a healthy sense of freedom

So these aren't really questions but I jotted down the important points so once I got to this; the day before.. after having five days to do it. I need to be less social. Here it is;

Into The Wild was an interesting film? I didn't like it much, the beginning of it was okay but didn't catch my attention. I wouldn't mind leaving at any time and working on Photoshop through the first sitting. The second part was much more interesting. I still would of preferred Photoshop but I would prefer it anyways often. This movie just didn't make me want to continue watching it at many moments. As a film it was okay, as a story it was better. The way the story was shown could of been done better, though I liked how it showed him at the 'Magic Bus' and him on his way to the 'Magic Bus.' It did a great job of explaining how he knew how to do what, though if I were to compare it to another movie that did this Slum Dog Millionaire showed how the main character got his knowledge and applied it to the questions far better than Into The Wild does. The story consists of finishing college, running away from everything, learning and preparing (a few parts within that), and actually being in the wilderness. The actually being in the wilderness part was neglected a bit, but this film was made to show before that. When he is finishing college is explained very quickly just so there is something to work off of. It introduces the character and sends him on his way. Running away from everything also fairly short, and the learning stage is cut into. At the end of the running away, or is it the beginning? Anyways Alexander (the main character, for I don't think I have mentioned his name yet) burns his money yet still ends up getting a job or two. I didn't really understand why that was, but at the time when he burnt his money it was fairly misleading I think. I thought it was a matter of 'this is it, money's gone, off to Alaska.' I found the learning and preparing stage to seem a bit forced. It was all needed innately but some of the side stories near the end were put there for story telling sake. Not because it was needed. All of it could of been presented better I think. The wilderness situation was presented well, though some issues were too short and other's much too long. I didn't need fifteen minutes of 'Oh no, my moose, I can't eat it!' and then three broken up minutes of 'Well, I'm going to die now.' If I were to give this film a rating, and that rating had to be based on thumb indication, this would receive a hesitant one thumb up.
Onto freedom. Freedom is being free. It is having no limitations or boundaries except the ones you give yourself intentionally. If you have unintentional boundaries, you are not as free as you could be. Freedom is the ability to do what you want, when you want, how you want; all by your own judgment. There may be rules that state if you should or should not partake in various actions though I think in most situations you should be thinking through if you agree or disagree with them. I think to be free does not necessarily mean you can state you are free, but you cannot find anything hindering the fact. It is very easy to say you do what you wish to without limitation, but it is equilly more difficult to say there is nothing stopping you.

I was expecting this to be longer, perhaps my need for sleep is hindering my writing process although it usually doesn't. I find I do a lot more typing when I am tried than what I should be doing. I'm sure I will think of a better way to word my example of having a sense of freedom for that does not address the statement very well I suppose. This will be added later. Good night world.

- Bugworld

No comments:

Post a Comment