Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just To Say I Tried

I missed posting anything yesterday, but after a post a day for five days I feel as if I should put something here? I don't want to get into the habit of meaningless posts so I'm going to do my best to give this some meaning.

I've viewed most of the xkcd comics through the random button but I still run into comics I haven't seen before if I press it a few times. Sometimes many times. JapaneseStudentLife suggests I take a look at the webcomic Antics and has also given me the idea to put links on words that I think could use some links so I'm going to try this for a few posts and see how I like it. So far I haven't enjoyed Antics as much as I have xkcd, but I suppose if I keep pressing the previous button I may get into it a bit.

I enjoy dubstep, and far too many people don't know what it is. Dubstep is a musical genre with influence from Grime, Garage, Drums and Base, and a couple other genres (I would like to try to do my best at reviewing what dubstep is without searching, so be sure to do some of your own research later; and if you happen to fall in love with the great base lines, I would like to congratulate myself). If there are lyrics in the song it often resembles rap type lyrics but doesn't have to. The only time I enjoy rap fully is with a dubstep instrumental, I just don't like the simple beats of a normal rap. Dubstep is typical at a 140bpm tempo featuring a fairly simple kick and snare pattern. A key feature to dubstep is the 'drop.' The best way I can think of describing it is as an ossolating base. Using Fruity Loops Studio 8 (a music making program, you can download a demo for it for free and it works great once you know what you're doing with it. You can get newer versions but FL8 is my favorite) I would create a drop through using a low note stylus type interment. Then put a limiter on it (something that will cut out some frequencies) and set it to follow a sine-pattern (a simple wave that goes up and down, what you get if you graph a sine-function I think) type wave at a fairly high Hz (Hertz, how many waves per second I beleive). This creates a wobbling base effect. It's hard to describe; go and listen for yourself.

UKFdubstep on Youtube has a couple hundred dubstep songs uploaded. Many of them available at HD.

One of my favorite artists, who can also be found on youtube, is Kyphera. Much of his music can be downloaded for free and he is a very diverse artist. He has a couple dubstep mixes, megamixes actually. Take a bunch of songs, a large bunch of songs, and put them all together so they flow nicely. Before you know it I have 80 minutes of great quality sound and great quality music downloaded off the links provided on his videos and enough base to get me through class without saying a word to anyone if I want. Kyphera's dubstep mixes aren't as heavy as most dubstep, but I enjoy them still. I do enjoy a heavy base line often but it sounds amazing none the less.

Through typing this I have checked back and pressed the previous button on Antics many times. I think I might just continue reading this instead of playing my favorite first person shooter today. I have three hours until I'm going to a friends party, and I still need to have a shower. Some sleep would be nice.. Hmm.. maybe I can combine two of these three? These comics are getting to me already, I'm trying to put my thoughts into witty three pane series.

Spell checking this was stressfull. My computer doesn't recognize xkcd, dubstep, or Youtube. I also think I failed at making this not usefull, but by the time you get to this part and relize that also it will be too late. Enjoy your reading; it's good for your mind even if it isn't a good read I beleive.

- Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment