Saturday, September 25, 2010

Wind and Turtles

The second half of this will be better.

I had a cool experience walking home. It was around 12:00 midnight, windy, not raining though. Not too cold but colder than normal, I was warm in my hoodie, toque, and using my friends leg warmers as arm warmers.. kind of like really long gloves but with no fingers. I like them, she wanted me to give them back before I left her house but I put my hoodie on over them so she wouldn't notice. It worked.
Anyways, at one point I was sheltered from the wind but I could see everything around me being blown by it. I could hear it whistle and whiz through trees, feel the air cooler than it usually is at this time of night, but it wasn't pushing on me at all. It was interesting. A warm-like sensation due to the sudden lack of wind on me and very.. I'm not sure how to describe that. As if it should of been in slow motion. At one point I had the thought it was as if I was controlling the wind, but I continued to walk and was no longer being covered by the tall fence so it was all over but it was interesting anyways.

Now that that's over, let me paint you a picture. Before you read this, I will warn you it takes an unexpected turn.

Let me paint you a picture, a wonderful beautiful picture. There is a beach, highlighted by the mid tones of an elaborate sunset painted cloud by cloud. The white sand glistens and sparkles as the water does with the tide gently lapping its way towards the high water mark, only visible by where the sand stop to show a luscious field of grass. The sand gently begins to tremor, the surface of it cracks and several baby turtles emerge taking their first breath of life. Unsure what to do in this foreign world they follow their only thought and to run towards the water, doing the only thing they know how to do. One or two stop to observe the sunset, for it is just too captivating for them to look away from. Their first sight, their first sunset. Too bad it will be their last, for the sand is not suppose to sparkle but rather is polluted by the nearby factory just hidden around the corner that pumps out explosive powder into the air as a byproduct of their mass produced electronics. They are ignorant to the nightly explosions along the beach as the chemical reacts with the water tearing apart anything that rests on the surface of the sand. The ever approaching water continues to roll towards the critical point, one baby turtle manages to get ahead of his peers but it is too late for his belly is coated with this power and doing all that he knows how to do he runs into the water. This sets off the chain reaction, one small spot after another explodes. All that can be observed is the initial flash, followed by another, then two or three more, then the entire visible sandy beach illuminated by a blinding glow. No smoke, no fire, just a startling shock wave through the air and a bright light. This light dims after a few seconds, the odd soundless destruction stops. The previously white sand is not black, but don't worry. By this time tomorrow the never ending rain of slight chemical residue will build back up for anything that has found its way back. This only leaves the question of the turtles, and where have they gone? A thud is audible, then another. Soon it is raining. A limb here, a shell there, it is all too graphic. If you were to walk forward it would just be best to assume the squeak of leather, and the occasional crunch, was of something more pleasant than your best guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment