Monday, September 27, 2010

Oh, Realization; Sleep, Memories, Recording

On the bus ride home I had a moment of realization. I am still reading the book 'Is There Life After Death' by Anthony Peake. It explores many reality theories, what happens when you die, quantum physics. A lot of interesting topics, fairly heavy reading at points so I have been reading it slowly so I can digest it. Bus rides are short, and almost always prove to be more enjoyable with a book.
What I am reading about now in this, is mostly about memories. The idea is that you record everything, always. All your senses are constantly recording when you are conscious, although you cannot normally access these. What I was wondering is how when you recall a memory why is it shortened? Why is it once you remember it you can only remember so much, or are not given the memory of all the events around that (what happened after in particular). Then as I put the book down for a moment to gaze at the ferry loading it hit me. A solution to this was thunk up in my mind, and I am not sure how true it is or not but it answers my question.
By the way; the clouds, water and boat looked very nice together.

Because you are always recording information your entire approximate 2 billion seconds of life will be recorded. When you recall something you stop recording it due to the same reason you begin to recall it, a chemical reaction in your brain. That answers the main point of my question on the most part, however I would just like to note when you sleep you are not conscious; so you may be recording less. I know your ears are still recording when you sleep, or are atleast aware of noise for a loud noise may wake you up. Sudden touch may also wake you, a bright light despite your eyes being closed; but I think your senses are much more limited at this time.
I'm getting sidetracked. Sleep is when your memories definitely end, and not just sleep necessarily but any unconsciousness. When you are hypnotized you may become unconscious to a given degree, depending on how deep your trance is. When hypnotized you don't remember what happened during the trance often. Also you often remember once you re-enter a similar state. Your memories are still there but just not available to you. When you sleep the same may happen. Your memories are there but are just not available to you.
I think I've rambled to where I have been trying to. When you recall something, you are not stuck constantly remembering it due to a chemical reaction within your brain that caused this recollection in the first place; but even further into that memories can only last for the duration of the day for there is a break of remembering when you are asleep. This sounded so much better in my mind before I typed it out.

I beleive this is why when I stay up all night it feels as if it has been one day. There is an odd sensation of it still being yesterday. My days blend together with no sleep or limited sleep, often leaving tenses between days confusing in my speech. This is just how I perceive this, but it was the base to my solution. When I don't sleep there is no memory cut off to indicate another day has started as my body is use to. I'm curious if this happens to other people?

Question me on this, answer my curiosity based question at the end of the last paragraph, I'm sure this doesn't make much sense in places.

No comments:

Post a Comment