Saturday, February 5, 2011

How to... DDR

I've had a lack of inspiration to do any of my usual blogging recently, so many of my posts have been filler; in case you have not noticed. I'm probably going to continue doing this for a bit but I don't want it to turn into my usual. I'm also hoping to get into the habit of posting in rough groups of three. I intend on this How to series to have one more instalment, related to Rubik's Cubes.

Recently I've been playing Dance Dance Revolution a lot. Not as much as when I first got the time, four years ago, for Christmas. I played 3 to 6 hours a day, almost every day, for two weeks? Needless to say, I got good at the game in that time. I excelled above the few members of my family who would play it, and they stopped wishing to play with me. I didn't care about this much though, despite this game being more fun with an audience, we only had one dance mat.

Everyone initially loves this game or dislikes it. At first I thought the game looked rather, stupid. I must of been so ignorant. It didn't take long for me to realize that it was only boring if you play on lower difficulties, so I went into my strategy for games like this. I've done the same for Guitar Hero and Rockband.

Play on Expert only. I didn't only play expert, but rather would play the hardest difficulties I could. Soon as I knew I could play a song on the second difficulty, basic, (I think) I would try to play the song on the third difficulty, standard. Once I could play standard, I tried expert. In general my idea was if I failed the song, I would play it again until I passed it. If I found it took too many attempts to pass it and I was still failing, move onto the next song and come back to that one. The levels of difficulty were different than most of the other DDR games; I have SuperNOVA2.

I further improved my skill by watching others play this game, and noting what caused them to make mistakes. Most of it was in footwork. Take note of where your feet are. They do not have to rest in the center of the dance mat, they can stand on an arrow that is not in use at any time. Alternate your left and your right foot as much as you need to. Remember that you can use the same foot for up and down, if the arrows are alternating in any way, or you can use one foot on up and one on down.

The key to becoming good at this game is a lot of water, and a lot of practice. Wow, I really need to find some inspiration to do some writing that's more than filler.

''Bugworlds..

1 comment:

  1. ~ DDR takes more than just pracice; It involves basic rythm, the aility to dance your heart out for 3 minutes, you need the ability of sight ( Unless there is a version out for people who are blind) and the wanting to be good. If you have no inspiration to get better this game is way to much work for your average gamer, whom usually sit at home and do not put much motion into playing. As to the filler part, if you did not think of it as filler, and tried just writing about aspecs you like it comes across more engaging :) But, I still found both posts amusing, I must say!

    ReplyDelete