Monday, November 1, 2010

What Happens When I Use An Online Dictionary ;; Nano

A couple people I know are partaking in the 'Nano Challenge,' a challenge to write 50,000 words in a month. That's about 1667 a day I think, or some number like that. I do not think I am following the rules exactly, and I am not signed up for it. I'm not planning on taking up this challenge but I wish to see how I compare. I think I would be able to do this if I tried but I have no interest in forcing myself to write. I don't write every day, I don't have inspiration every day, and I don't have time to follow every inspiration I have. This is just something to do for the fun of it, and to see how many words I put out a month. I'm sure I will be putting out more than normal just so I keep up a bit, so at the end of November I will see how I did.

I will be posting my word counts on my Twitter.

So a week ago I planned this post out and since then I have not gotten around to actually typing it up. If you were to take a look at my posterous (on this post), you would find details about it but none of them are expanded yet. Here it is though, for the all of.. well I know one person looks forward to what I post and I'm not sure if anyone else really reads my posts consistently. I can only hope. As long as I get my thoughts to words that's good enough for me.

I realized how great Dictionary.com is, for it has links to interesting articles posted under the search bar (I think) and they lead me from one article to another that I would like to comment on. If I ever have a lack of anything to read (pfft, not going to happen any time soon) I'll probably find myself wondering over to that site and taking a look for something of interest.

Anyways, onto what I was planning on posting.
The first article (What poetic term describes living your life while accepting it is full of uncertainty?) didn't really grab my attention that much, however the title of it was cut off and I was curious to see what the rest of it was. Seeing the full title I decided to keep reading, but by the end of it decided it wasn't all that great. There was a link to the next article though, and I enjoyed it much more.

The second article (you're not asleep, but you're not awake either. What's the name for that mysterious feeling?) was much better. As the title suggests it's about that odd feeling between sleep and awake. I don't get this very often, I usually just go to sleep or wake up with little transition time but I do know what it is referring to. The difference between being awake and being asleep is in the brain. Your consciousness enters a different state when you are asleep, however it cannot immediately go to this minimal stage. It must slip down into it, or atleast so my theory states. You can get into this state through hypnosis along with drifting to sleep, though that may be a bit more controlled because you will not necessarily fall asleep because of it. To tell what state of consciousness you are in, you could hook your head up to a brainwave reader and it will tell you what sort of waves your releasing. I'm not sure how that all works but I'll probably find myself looking into it at some time; possibly writing about it here too. Read the article for more, I haven't looked over it again so I wouldn't be surprised if some of my ideas conflict with the article a bit. I'm just going off by the title and what I remember.

I'll take this opportunity to talk about the day, more important how it relates to sleep in my mind. The day ends not when the sun goes down, or when midnight strikes, or even my bedtime (assuming I don't fall asleep at the time I've been told I should). Rather it ends when I go to sleep. In my mind the day is not over as long as I am awake. In the morning the day starts when I wake up. Not when the sun comes up, or when I'm told I should be up (unless that wakes me up). Between going to sleep and waking there is sleep time but it does not really exist in my mind. I am aware it happens, but because I cannot observe it I cannot say it is there for sure. I know logic states it is but I like to keep to my alternative thinking concepts even though I know they may not be completely solid. The only value sleep time has for my consciousness is the events others experience then. They may tell me about this, and I may gain knowledge about the events but it is all second-hand knowledge. Far as I know, what I'm being told about could of not actually happened but it's up to my own judgment to decide it if is legitimate or not.

This second article touches on that twitch that happens when you are close to sleep also. It doesn't go into much detail about it however I would just like to say I find this amusing. It's called a Myoclonic Jerk, and is characterized by an uncontrolled short muscle spasm or twitch that happens when you are about to fall asleep. I associate this with falling dreams because I know people often wake up from falling dreams like this. I wake up like this sometimes but I don't think I've had any falling dreams. I have one memory but I think it is a synthesized memory because I know it is a story that my cousin told me. A falling dream that he had that he told me about a long time ago. It seems really vivid though. I may of dreamt it at some time after he put the story in my mind. Kind of reminds me of Inception (the movie that is. It's great, everyone should see it twice if they can. I still need to watch it a second time. I may write about it some time).

Now, I'm not sure how I got to this though the third article (Bleep! What's the difference between cussing, swearing, and cursing?) discuses just what the title describes though I have a different idea between this all. Cussing is using words out of context; usually for emphasis or too often just by habit. They are words that have no need to be there. The statement 'the ****ing bird' and 'the bird' will mean pretty much the same thing. It all depends on who says it, but I'll get to that after. Often cussing is confused with swearing. Swearing would be exclaiming something, usually due to pain. It is the (often) yelling of words when something happens, often out of reflex. These one word statements have no meaning though allow the individual to express they are in pain or some sort of discomfort. Cursing is similar to swearing however it is using words against someone. To put it in its simplest form, cursing is name calling. No more or less to that.

Now then, what do these all have in common? They are all mistaken to be the same, and many would define them to be. Also they all are characterized by words that we have deemed to be foul. It may be due to the history of the word, the definition of it, or the way it is used. You can cuss or swear with other words but they just don't seem to have the same shock value (try yelling about vegetables next time you stub your toe). Over time sock value is lost though, mostly due to the over use of a word. The 'F-bomb' has been used so much that most people don't even notice it during conversation. It is used by habit and as filler 98% of the time (a statistic that I pulled out of air).

Personally I don't cuss all that much, I try to avoid swearing, and i see cursing to just be immature and not needed. The words people associate to all of these just are not installed in my vocabulary the same way other words and phrases are. I feel ridiculous using them often, not to mention many of my friends will be quick to point out if I have because they claim it sounds odd coming from me. This is where the shock value comes in. I know if I was to go up to someone and yell a string of curses at them using foul words they, and anyone else who knows me and who was around, would probably be very shocked. I would be too, though I might be pleased with myself that my message was put across.

More people need to avoid excessive cussing. It's not needed, and it's just annoying at times. It kills your vocabulary because you can use the same word with twenty, perhaps even more, definitions. If you use cuss related words often and are in a situation where you may not do so, stuttering may occur. I have troubles with stuttering already anyways. I don't know why, it just happens often. I get jumped up in my words often too, and I have no reason to. I am a confidient speaker, I think through what I am going to say usualy. I'll figure this out one day, or the annoyance will go away.

On top of all of that it annoys many people. Many people find it offensive, personally I just see it to be unneeded though it no longer bothers me that much. Public school has numbed me just enough. It bothers me when people cuss around people who I know don't want to hear it, often the young and the more elderly. Kids shouldn't be cussing, cursing, or swearing. They have no need to, for with their developing minds I'm sure they can think of more intelligent statements to use. If someone does not wish to hear such words for any reason they shouldn't need to worry about it. There should be stronger warnings on television if foul language is going to be used, even if it is censored. I know censuring it may make it more apparent, though it does help in a round about way. It may be easy to even figure out what word fits in, though the censor is there for a reason. The high pitch squeal of the audio cover may be annoying and I wouldn't mind that being replaced but other than that, it's needed.

I think I might of started a slight rant, oh well. Spell check and then time for bed. -- Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment