Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Inspired Again ;; My Grandpa is Great

I would like to thank The Unromantic for inspiring me to get back to blogging. For a while I just got out of it, I had reasons to not write a bit, decided to delay one more day, ran out of time. Time, it's such a reoccurring theme.
If you get a chance to do so be sure to visit The Unromantic's blog. She's awesome.

I'm typing on a great keyboard, the keys are so smooth to press but I have a complaint. It's similar to a laptop keyboard, the keys are are compressed a bit. The backspace is only one key wide, instead of the two keys width I'm use to. Half the time I try to hit the backspace I get the ''\' key however I'm getting use to this. At the moment I'm in the Computer lab at my school and it is flex block. We have flex block twice a week, and it is just great. It's forty minutes to do what ever we want, really it's meant for us to catch up on school work but I only use it for that if I really have to or I am uninspired to do anything else. Usually I spend the time on Photoshop but as I said before The Unromantic inspired me through showing me and the rest of my Psychology class their Blogspot account so somehow that just got me pumped to do some writing.

In my Psychology and Digital Media class we're showing out online activities, through the form of Posterous. A few people are using Blogspot, DeviantArt. As you should know if you've read my blog before, I'm all over all of those.

I'm listening to Kid Kudi right now. he sings in a genera that I don't really like much, however I heard some music by him in my Psychology class today (someone posted a video featuring his music on their posterous) so I went to Youtube and found a playlist premade. I will make my own playlist if I like his music, but I don't think I'll be going back to it any time after my flex block is over.

The Nano challenge, I'm sure I'm way behind. It's been going on for 9 days and I've written twice? Three times? I don't know. This is my third definitely if not fourth. I'm glad I wasn't partaking in the challenge because at this point I don't think I'll be able to catch up. It will still be nice to see how I compare to the people who are actually doing this. I wonder how many of the people who I know are actually going to write enough for the challenge. I think the people who do will be over the minimal by a fair amount most likely. I'm sure I would be if I wrote every day.

A few days I had a great conversation with my girlfriend and grandpa. It was just amazing. We talked about Physics, and I just loved it. Me and my girlfriend had already gotten into the topic and ran into a few arguments within it as we do in all our conversation. Our views are often very diverse but have the same basis so it makes for a great conversation full of disagreement. I wouldn't want it any other way. After a fairly long time I noticed my grandpa had shown up at my house. My parents called him over to take a look at our hot water boiler device thing and now that I think of it I'm not sure what the proper name for it is. I probably do know but I just can't think of it now.

My Grandpa is the greatest person ever. I'm sure of it. He went through college and got some impressive merits from it. Master in Physics, Math, and Chemistry? Maybe not chemistry, there was definitely a third one though. He then went on to come back to this amazing place I live in, I should write about this town some time, and taught at high schools. He taught math, physics, chemistry, I'm sure a few other things. When I need help in anything related to any of these classes never have troubles finding help.

After teaching for several years he ended up with a lot of stories. A insane number of stories. It's just phenomenal how he can relate anything to a story. I've heard so many of them so many times I can recite them to my friends when they bring up a topic that may relate to the story but I am always fine with hearing them again. Combining this with the ability to explain math, physics, and everything related in these stories just makes them amazing. To add to all of this my Grandpa has an amazing memory.

He can remember things from forever ago. A very technical term, I know; but it's true I think. He described his earliest memory to me before and I thought it was phenomenal he could remember it at the time. After learning about how the brain functions and how it develops I became even more amazed by this (note, this learning happened several years after I heard the story but I managed to hold on it it). It was before most people's memory has not developed enough to hold memories. Of course the point where an individuals brain develops enough to retain memories will vary. I think it was rather impressive for such a young age.

There are a handful of different ways to look at what you learn, how it is learned, how well you may learn it. There are also different ways to look at intelligence. I like to split that into intelligence (how 'smart' you are) and knowledge (how much knowledge you have). It seems many people smudge these together. You may be knowledgeable but not intelligent.

I beleive genetics can relate to how you think, learn, and remember. You can also pick up on aspects of thinking, learning, and remembering though your environment. I have a very similar thought process of one of my Grandma's who I am biologialy related to so I can account that to genetics, however my Grandpa who I am speaking about is not biologically related however I seem to think the same way he does. I learn in a similar manner, and recall in a similar way. I don't want to be arrogant but I have a good memory. Once I know something it usualy sticks with me, and recently in the great conversation I had as I mentioned before, I asked my Grandpa if he had a photographic memory. He said he didn't, but once he knows something he doesn't forget. This just blew my mind. I seem to be the same, though I'm sure he's had much more time to ponder over his thought process. I know I have thought of my thought process before, and with such similar ways of thinking I'm sure he has also.

It was a very mind blowing day. My mind was blown atleast five, maybe six times. It was a good day.

I'm sure there was more, but if I start something I want to finish it in that sitting and this was just not possible for this post. I was cut off due to my flex block ending. Also my computer decided to be a failure about half way through and I lost ten minutes of potential typing time. As usually, if I can remember more it will go into my next post. I plan on posting more often, I'll try for a post a day for a week and see if that gets me back into this habit even more than I was in it before. I have also decided to possibly look into getting Firefox or Chrome so I can spell check as I type. I think that would help me a lot more than the Google toolbar. I've been told Chrome has great performance, and Firefox is good too. I use Internet Explorer, with the knowledge it isn't very good. I just always have, and I seem to be sticking to it.

--Bugworlds

No comments:

Post a Comment